Saturday, April 2, 2011

Why don't we?

Comfort. It is a tricky bastard. On one hand it is a place or rest, a place of ease. It takes little effort to live your life from a place of comfort. Sounds perfect, right? The downside is that there is no growth, you do not progress or learn. You do not develop. You stay stagnant in the place you have so comfortably built your niche. That can make or break us.

Most of the time, as humans we do not choose to leave our comfort zone on our own. Usually we are prompted by outside elements or sources. A change in life or circumstance. Think of all the new things you have learned in life, the new skills you have acquired over your life and the new cadence you live today versus the way you lived even five years ago. Some of you are elevated and manage to learn, grow and progress all on your own with little to no outside promptings or hardships. To you, you are an example to us all. To the majority of you, when you look back it was mostly based on outside circumstances that forced you to try something simply because you had no choice and then once you adapted to your new setting or situation found that you rather liked it and it has made you the person you are today.

So why don't we take today and be proactive. Try something you have always dreamt of doing. Leave your comfort zone if even for only a moment to tip toe into the you that you had always envisioned. Make the decision to  progress and try something new without catastrophe or circumstances forcing you in to something new. Learn, grow, develop and progress at your hand.

I am at a stage in my life where I feel like the sands in my hourglass are running out at a faster speed than they used to. In my earlier days I grew as a person and took initiative when something bad happened or I was forced to have a hardship to bring me to my new place of enlightenment. Now, I don't have that time. I can't just wait for hell to break loose, for heartache to find me. I have to do this on my own.

It started with my health. That was so uncomfortable to begin, so overwhelming. Some days it still is but I did not want to wait for something to wake me up that I could not undo. I wanted to be healthy because it was the me I envisioned. So I work. I work hard. I am getting there and it is all because I knew that only I could put in the work to achieve what I had dreamed for myself.

I look at the relationships around me. The toxicity level. As a generally compassionate person I tend to befriend everyone. I truly feel that everyone has redeeming qualities and I want to be there for them in any way I can. That gets me into trouble however because of that I find myself getting taken advantage of or the negativity of some suffocating my spark in a way that I begin to lose myself. I can't do that. None of us can. You can not loan your spark to someone when they have lost their own. You can help them locate theirs, but if you give them yours then you are left with nothing and soon you will only feel a shadow of what was once your light.

The perfect balance of life to me that I aspire to is to be constantly growing and learning as much as I can about myself, the people and world around me. I want to live passionately with hunger and satisfaction. I also want to balance that side with comfort and get to relax and enjoy the place I am at in my life at each time. Take it all in. To grow, to enjoy, to live.

I don't have the all the answers, I never will. What I do know though is that those people that proactively elevate themselves. Learning and growing on their own accord are my role models. They inspire me to take the reigns and get out of life what I always intended and dreamt. Nothing gets in their way but themselves and nothing will get in my way but myself. Why don't we take this day and be proactive?

Why don't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment